Choirs and Ensembles
“I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God
while I have being.” —Psalm 104:33
Adults, youth, and children are all invited to claim and share their musical talents in a choir or ensemble at St. John’s. The choir season begins in September and ends on Music Sunday in June. Individual vocalists and instrumentalists are encouraged to offer their musical gifts year-round. Check St. John’s Google calendar for updated rehearsal information.
· The Adult Choir supports the assembly’s singing, leads the musical liturgy, and performs a rich variety of accompanied and a cappella music at the 10:30 AM service. High school youth are welcome in this choir!
· The Kids Choir sings periodically in worship. The choir rehearses as announced. Interested children/youth in grades 2–8 and parents should contact the Director of Music for more information.
· One-Day Choirs are offered during the summer and feature easy-to-learn music. Rehearsals are usually at 9:00 AM on Sunday.
· The Lutherringers are an intergenerational bell choir ringing 5 octaves of Malmark handbells and 3 octaves of Malmark choirchimes. The group performs periodically in the 10:30 AM service and for festival services.
· One-Day Bell Choirs are offered from time to time and are open to anyone with basic music-reading skills. Volunteers rehearse at 9:00 AM on Sunday and then ring in the 10:30 AM service.
· The Recorder Ensemble is a group of developing and experienced soprano, alto, tenor, and bass recorder instrumentalists. The ensemble plays a variety of Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical music, as well as arrangements of hymns and other music.
· The Brass-Wind Ensemble is a volunteer intergenerational ensemble of brass and woodwind instrumentalists that gathers to prepare music for special opportunities. The group usually plays carols in downtown Summit the Sunday before Christmas and before the 5 PM service on Christmas Eve.
· The Chamber Ensemble is a variable group of instrumentalists who play strings and/or woodwinds to accompany cantatas, anthems, and hymns, and to perform other service music in worship.
· The Summer Liturgy Musicians are a group of youth and adult musicians who accompany the 10:30 AM liturgy in the summer. Intermediate- and advanced-level instrumentalists are welcome to participate.………………………………………………………